What is myfife?
myfife is the ideal starter for young children learning the flute.
Perfect for 6 to 10 year olds who are just starting out, myfife is:
- small and lightweight
- virtually unbreakable
What is ?
Many of today’s top flute players started learning on a fife. Here’s Philippe Barnes talking about how he started flute:
Why use myfife?
For many young players, a full-sized flute – even a curved or mini flute – is inappropriate to start on. Using an instrument that is too large or heavy can lead to:
- pain or discomfort for the child…
- ..meaning they eventually find playing the flute too hard work and leading them to give up, or…
- …neck and shoulder problems in adult life
myfife is recommended by teachers worldwide for players aged 6 to 10. When used in conjunction with our range of supporting materials, teachers can easily use myfife in one-to-one, small group or whole class situations. It is available in four cool colour options:
- sky blue
- matt black
- simulated rosewood
For a fraction of the price of a regular flute, myfife helps aspiring flute students to develop:
- making a good sound – because it is so light and easy to hold, myfife means players aren’t battling with the weight of a flute, so they can concentrate on sound production. This is a great skill to then transfer on to flute.
- balance and posture – learning a good posture is easy on a small instrument, and ensures that your child’s back, neck and shoulders remain relaxed, and lays down the building blocks for a great posture later in life
- breathing – yes, musicians need to learn to breathe properly!
- reading music
- playing music – uses the same basic finger patterns as a standard flute
- rhythmic development
- commitment – if your child practices on a fife, you can be certain they will get even more pleasure when they transfer to a flute!